#ThrowbackThursday: A look back at Community Lake in Wallingford

#ThrowbackThursday: A look back at Community Lake in Wallingford


WALLINGFORD — Looking across the meadow from Lufbery Park, trees dominate the sweeping panoramic view, mostly hiding the Quinnipiac River from view. An old photo from 1957 found in the Record-Journal archives depicts an entirely different view, with Community Lake looming large in the center of the photo.

The Oneida Community created the lake in the 1850s for hydropower to assist in making silver products. In the 1960s, the town purchased the land at a reasonable price of $1 from the International Silver Co. A dam breach in 1979 drained Community Lake. A series of dredged ponds remains today, with the Quinnipiac River snaking between them.

A few aspects of the 1957 photo stand out. Today, Masonicare consists of several buildings in a campus. The 1957 photo shows one main building visible from the vantage point on Mount Tom, with some type of garages off to the side.

Across the river, what today is the Parker Place Apartments stands prominently with a large smokestack. Just below the Parker building, the old boat house sits on the edge of the lake. To the right of the boathouse, the building that now houses the Spanish Community of Wallingford was visible.

What stands out to you in the old photo? Let us know in the comments on Myrecordjournal.com.

Twitter: @RRathsack

Help Support Quality Local Journalism


Latest Videos