CHESHIRE — The Cheshire High School Library reopened this week after mold was found on chairs and books last week.
Superintendent of Schools Jeffrey Solan believes the mold was caused by high humidity levels. The library was closed until Tuesday while school maintenance staff and an outside contractor, cleaned, sanitized and dehumidified the library.
None of the approximately 10,000 books were lost, Solan said.
”We remedied the situation with Servpro...,” he said. “The library was closed for two days to clean it entirely,”
Solan said the library, unlike the rest of the building, has air conditioning, but it wasn’t enough to prevent the problem.
“We had an incredibly hot and humid summer,” he said.
According to a letter sent to Cheshire High School families, the maintenance department is pursuing a permanent solution so the issue will not reoccur again and will seek to “modify the cooling and dehumidifying system.”
Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢
Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢