Cheshire fire marshal investigating fire at vacant home Tuesday night

Cheshire fire marshal investigating fire at vacant home Tuesday night



CHESHIRE — The fire marshal is investigating a fire at a vacant home on Cheshire Street Tuesday night. The home has been deemed a total loss.

There were no reported injuries Fire Chief Jack Casner said. A neighbor’s garage also caught fire and was significantly damaged.

Firefighters responded to 1379 Cheshire St. about 8:45 p.m. for a report of a structure fire. The home, which was reportedly in the process of being renovated, was fully involved when firefighters arrived, Casner said. Radiant heat from the house fire ignited the garage

Both fires were extinguished in about 90 minutes, Casner said. The home was deemed a total loss and the neighbor’s garage had significant fire and smoke damage.

Residents from several nearby homes were evacuated, Casner said. Firefighters from Wolcott and Prospect responded for station coverage.

The home is owned by Michael and Joni Greene, according to town records.

Fire Marshal John Andrews is investigating. Due to a lack of evidence, Andrews said the cause of the fire may never be determined.

"There's no structure for us to look at, no burn patterns for us to look at," Andrews said Wednesday. "Everything is basically ash in the basement of the structure.”

Andrews said his office is in the process of conducting interviews.

blipiner@record-journal.com
203-317-2444
Twitter: @BryanLipiner


Advertisement
 
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos

X