MERIDEN — Fire officials say a Monday morning fire at Banana Brazil was caused by an old stove positioned too close to a wall.
Fire Marshal Steven Trella said the fire, reported around 10:30 a.m., was ruled accidental. There were no reported injuries.
An employee who answered the phone said the business, located at 124 Hanover St., will be closed for at least a few days for repairs, but hope to reopen as soon as possible.
“It wasn’t really a big fire… it seemed more involved than it was,” Trella said. “It’s probably going to take them a couple days to fix it up.”
Trella said when the Banana Brazil owners renovated the building, they brought in most of their own equipment, but did keep a stove from the previous owner. The stove was positioned too close to the wall, causing damage to the wood wall and wiring inside the wall.
Firefighters were on scene until about 11:20 a.m.
Banana Brazil opened in September and serves a variety of Brazilian-style grilled meats and buffet options.
Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢
Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢