House fire that started in fireplace displaces Meriden family 

House fire that started in fireplace displaces Meriden family 



 

MERIDEN — A house fire that started in a fireplace early Monday displaced a family of eight.

Fire crews responded to 151 Converse Ave. around 1 a.m. and found the fire had spread to the attic, said Fire Marshal Steve Trella. The family had just moved into the home and the heat was not turned on, Trella said. They lit a fire in the fireplace for warmth, but the fire spread behind the wall and into the attic. The family told firefighters they saw the paint bubbling on the wall from the heat spreading behind it, Trella said. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly. 

There were no reported injuries, but the eight-member family will be displaced, Trella said. The family includes children ages one to 16. The home is not a loss, but he expects repairs to take a few months. Trella said some of the duct work in the attic was melted and wiring needs to be repaired. The home was built in 1924, according to city records. 

– Lauren Sellew

 

 


Advertisement
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos

X