MERIDEN — A fugitive arrested last week in New York City will likely be brought back to Meriden next week to face charges in an April 19 shooting on South First Street, police said Friday.
Justin Diaz, 28, faces charges of first-degree assault, carrying a pistol without a permit, unlawful discharge of a firearm, and criminal use of a firearm.
Diaz was taken into custody with the assistance of the NYPD Violent Fugitive Task Force on May 16. He will remain in New York police custody while arrangements for his extradition to Connecticut are finalized, Meriden police said.
The Meriden detective bureau is waiting for court paperwork and Diaz is expected to be brought to the state late next week, Meriden police spokesman Lt. John Mennone said Friday.
A spokesperson for the NYPD confirmed Diaz was taken into custody on May 16 in the Bronx and was held at Bronx Central Booking. The spokesperson did not have information available about Diaz’s location after being at Central Booking.
A message left for Diaz’s attorney was not immediately returned Friday.
Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢
Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢