Meriden police make arrest in reported home invasion, pistol whipping on Berlin Turnpike

Meriden police make arrest in reported home invasion, pistol whipping on Berlin Turnpike

reporter photo

MERIDEN — A Berlin man faces home invasion and assault charges after police said he entered another man’s motel room and pistol whipped him.

Paul Boynton, 35, of 2447 Berlin Turnpike, was charged Sunday with home invasion, second-degree assault, assault with a firearm, criminal possession of a firearm and disorderly conduct. Boynton was released on $250,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in Meriden Superior Court on July 12. 

Lea Furlong, 51, of 1696 N. Broad St., was also arrested in the incident and charged with interfering with police. 

Police responded to 1696 N. Broad St., the Colonial Inn and Suites, on Sunday around 10:30 a.m. after a man reported that Boynton entered his hotel room while he was sleeping and struck him with a piece of wood, said Sgt. Darrin McKay, police spokesman.

Boynton then ran out and the man followed, McKay said. Boynton eventually pulled out a handgun and pistol whipped the man in the head. 

The man who was assaulted told police he worked for Boynton in the past and that Boynton believed he had stolen items from him. He added that he had Boynton’s contact information on his cell phone, but appeared reluctant to let police inside his room, McKay said. He then asked his mother, Furlong, to retrieve the phone inside the room. Officers followed the mother, who ran inside the room and locked the door.  While they were outside the door, officers heard her flush the toilet and charged her with interfering an investigation, McKay said.

Officers located Boynton at the Mount Royal Inn in Berlin, McKay said. Boynton initially denied assaulting the man, but then told police he struck him with a facsimile firearm, which police were not able to find. Police found the cylinder of a revolver in Boynton’s vehicle, McKay said.  

Furlong was arraigned in Meriden Superior Court on Monday. The judge set bond at $500 and continued the case to July 31. 

Help Support Quality Local Journalism


Latest Videos