Meriden man charged in shooting on Curtis Street last week

Meriden man charged in shooting on Curtis Street last week



reporter photo

MERIDEN — A city man has been charged in a shooting on Curtis Street last week.

Rafael Santiago, 57, of 75 Curtis St., was charged Tuesday with first-degree assault, criminal use of a weapon, criminal possession of a weapon, illegal discharge of a firearm, first-degree reckless endangerment and illegal possession of a large capacity magazine. 

On Oct. 10, police responded to the Curtis Street home and found a 29-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds to his legs, according to an arrest warrant. The man was taken to Yale New Haven Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. 

A woman told police her son and her boyfriend, identified as Santiago, got into an argument while in the driveway of the home. The woman said she was inside the home when she heard two gunshots.

Police found four .223 caliber rifle cartridges and a live round in the driveway. Witnesses said Santiago attempted to flee on foot and threw the rifle in a bush near a home in the area of 309 Broad St.

Police recovered a Ruger mini-14 caliber rifle, which was equipped with a high-capacity magazine and had a live round in the chamber, and noted there was a blood-like substance on the barrel.

Police said Santiago was charged with second-degree assault in a separate domestic violence incident in July 2014, when he reportedly struck a man with a metal jack handle.

Santiago is a convicted felon and is prohibited from possessing firearms, court documents state.

He was held on $250,000 bond and the case was transferred to New Haven Superior Court, where Santiago is scheduled to appear on Oct. 23.


Advertisement
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos