Police: Man wanted in Meriden shooting arrested in NYC

Police: Man wanted in Meriden shooting arrested in NYC



reporter photo

MERIDEN — A man wanted in connection with the April 19 shooting on South First Street has been taken into custody in New York City, police said Thursday. 

Police announced last week that they have an arrest warrant charging Justin Diaz, 28, with first-degree assault, carrying a pistol without a permit, unlawful discharge of a firearm, and criminal use of a firearm in connection with a shooting last month. Diaz was taken into custody in New York City on Thursday afternoon, police spokesman Sgt. Christopher Fry said. He was taken into custody with the assistance of the NYPD Violent Fugitive Task Force. Diaz will remain in New York police custody while arrangements for his extradition to Connecticut are finalized, Fry noted. 

Police warned the public last week that Diaz was considered armed and dangerous. One person was seriously injured in the incident. 

In the same statement, police asked that anyone with information on the rash of shootings since January contact Detective James Femia at 203-630-6219. Police are investigating eight incidents of gun violence, including a homicide in January. 

lsellew@record-journal.com
203-317-2225
Twitter: @LaurenSellewRJ


Advertisement

Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢

Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢