MERIDEN — A city man previously charged in an armed robbery and stabbing at a West Main Street grocery store late last month has been charged in a separate armed robbery at a downtown Dunkin’ Donuts.
Angel Rodriguez, 48, of 148 Hobart St., was charged by warrant on Thursday with first-degree robbery, first-degree threatening, sixth-degree larceny and brandishing a facsimile firearm in an armed robbery at Dunkin’ Donuts, 132 W. Main St., on July 12.
He was previously arrested on July 24 in an armed robbery and stabbing at Tachuelas Grocery Store on West Main Street and charged with first-degree robbery, sixth-degree larceny, carrying a dangerous weapon, brandishing a facsimile firearm, weapon in a motor vehicle, breach of peace, first-degree threatening, interfering with police, conspiracy, two counts of first-degree assault and three counts of risk of injury to a minor.
On July 12 around 7:20 p.m. police responded to Dunkin Donuts, 132 W. Main St., for a report of an armed robbery, according to an arrest warrant. Police spoke with witnesses and discovered a man, later identified as Rodriguez, entered the business and brandished what appeared to be a handgun. Rodriguez was given money and fled on a motorcycle the wrong way down West Main Street.
While officers were investigating, a man who said he knew Rodriguez’s provided police with a description of his motorycle and Rodriguez’s Hobart Street address. Police obtained a search warrant for Rodriguez’s home and found a motorcycle that matched the one used in the robbery and a facsimile firearm, the warrant said.
A short time after the initial robbery call, police conducting surveillance on the Hobart Street home saw Rodriguez and his girlfriend get into a car and drive off, the warrant said. Police noted they lost sight of the car for a short time, during which Rodriguez got out of the car and ran on foot, the warrant said. Police submitted a warrant for the charges.
Two woman were injured in the Tachuelas Grocery Store armed robbery and stabbing on July 24. Rodriguez and Keishla Garcia-Hernandez fled the scene before authorities arrived and were taken into custody that night in Hartford.
Rodriguez and Garcia-Hernandez are being held on $1 million bonds for the July 24 incident. Garcia-Hernandez is scheduled to appear in New Haven Superior Court on Sept. 5.
Rodriguez was arraigned in Meriden Superior Court on Thursday for the July 12 incident. The judge set bond at $200,000 and transferred the case to New Haven Superior Court. He is scheduled to appear there on Aug. 14.
Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢
Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢