Police: Teen charged with stealing cars from Meriden dealership last year

Police: Teen charged with stealing cars from Meriden dealership last year



reporter photo

MERIDEN — A local teen faces felony larceny charges after police said he was involved in the theft of at least three vehicles from a Cadillac dealership on South Broad Street in December. 

Eduardo Mercado, 17, of 62 Wood St., Meriden, is being tried as an adult and was arraigned in Meriden Superior Court on Friday. He is charged with first-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit first-degree larceny. 

The investigation that led to Mercado’s arrest began with a report of a possible stolen car and accident in the area of East Johnson Avenue and Pratt Street in Southington. While local police were checking on that report, Mercado’s family called state police and said he had been involved in a motor vehicle accident on the highway and was missing, according to a police report. 

When police went to speak with Mercado’s mother and another juvenile that was at the home, the juvenile told police he, Mercado and a third juvenile were involved in stealing at least three vehicles from Alderman Cadillac dealership, 380 S. Broad St., the previous night, the report said.

The juvenile told police  he and the other juvenile broke a window to gain access to the dealership, took several sets of keys, and drove off in cars that they left at different locations around Meriden. The next day he and Mercado each went to a friend’s house in New Britain driving stolen vehicles, the report said. 

While they were driving back to Meriden, a truck struck Mercado’s vehicle near exit 4 of Interstate 691, causing the vehicle to hit a guard rail and roll over, the report said.

The juvenile pulled over to check on Mercado, but saw him running into the woods. The juvenile tried to look for Mercado, but got scared and went to Mercado’s mother’s home, the report said.

Police eventually took Mercado into custody. When Mercado was interviewed by police, he denied being involved in the burglary, the report said.

Mercado is being held on $10,000 bond. His case was transferred to New Haven Superior Court for May 28. 

lsellew@record-journal.com
203-317-2225
Twitter: @LaurenSellewRJ


Advertisement

Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢

Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢