NORTH HAVEN — Fire destroyed four shuttle buses at Goodwill offices on Route 5 Monday evening, two of which were brand new.
About 6 p.m., fire crews were assessing damage in the parking lot at Goodwill of Southern New England, 432 Washington Ave.
Keith Lavalette, vice president of programs at Goodwill, said Tuesday the vehicles, which were vacant at the time, were backed up into freshly laid mulch that began smoldering, and that’s what may have started the fire.
Lavalette said all four vehicles, used to transport clients, are a total loss and estimates the damage at about $200,000.
There were no reported injuries or damage reported to the building.
Fire Chief Paul Januszewski said four engines responded to the scene to keep firefighters from overexertion. Outdoor temperatures had reached the high 80s on Monday.
Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢
Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.
Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢