North Haven family displaced in house fire

North Haven family displaced in house fire



reporter photo

NORTH HAVEN — Fire officials said an oxygen machine caused a house fire early Sunday that displaced five people.

When firefighters arrived at 135 Standish Ave. around 4 a.m. they found heavy flames throughout the house, said Fire Chief Paul Januszewski

Four of the five residents were home at the time of the fire. All were able to exit safely. No injuries were reported, but two hamsters perished.

Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 20 minutes, Januszewski said.

The contents of the house are a total loss, he added, and the house has been condemned by the building inspector.

The American Red Cross provided the residents with emergency shelter, clothing and food assistance.

According to town property records, the 2,352-square-foot house was built in 1947 and had three bedrooms and two bathrooms.

LTakores@record-journal.com

203-317-2212

Twitter: @LCTakores


Advertisement
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos