UPDATE: Man rescued from Plainville house fire flown to Bridgeport burn center

UPDATE: Man rescued from Plainville house fire flown to Bridgeport burn center



reporter photo

PLAINVILLE — A fire Thursday morning sent one Fairbanks Street resident to the hospital with serious injuries and caused extensive damage to the second floor of a home.

Firefighters responded to 20 Fairbanks St. around 10:20 a.m. and called for assistance from surrounding towns, including Southington and New Britain. According to the fire marshal, a father lives on the first floor of the home and his son lives on the second floor.

Neighbor Felicia Kenniston, who lives on Bohemia Street, was walking her dog when she noticed the house was on fire. Kenniston said she knocked on the door to alert the father about the fire.

“The gentleman answered and I said ‘your house is on fire, you need to get out’ and he said ‘OK,’ closed the door and went back inside.”

Kenniston said police arrived a few minutes later and went inside to retrieve the father. She said the man told police that his son was upstairs and that he tried to kick the door down but couldn’t get in. Fire crews arrived and worked to rescue the son from the burning second floor. 

Firefighters “brought the young man out and they were doing chest compressions,” Kenniston said. “There were burns on his face.”

The son was taken by ambulance to the Hospital of Central Connecticut in New Britain and then flown to Bridgeport Hospital’s burn center.

The father was taken to the hospital for evaluation.

The fire department has not released the two men’s names or ages.

The road was shut down as crews responded to the blaze. 

According to town records, the home is owned by Thomas G. and Candace A. Kiely, who list a mailing address in the Plantsville section of Southington.

jroman@record-journal.com
203-317-2420
Twitter: @jenieceroman


Advertisement