Southington man convicted of risk of injury to a minor earlier this year faces new charge

Southington man convicted of risk of injury to a minor earlier this year faces new charge



reporter photo

SOUTHINGTON — A local man convicted of risk of injury to a minor earlier this year faces a new charge after police said he contacted the minor online. 

Michael Guiffrida, 47, of 125 Cascade Ridge, was arrested on Aug. 30 and charged with violation of probation.

In January, Guiffrida pleaded no contest to risk of injury to a minor on Jan. 19 and was sentenced to a three-year suspended prison sentence and three years’ probation. A no contest plea means Guiffrida does not dispute the charge, but does not admit guilt. A judge made a finding of guilty, but the plea cannot be used against him as evidence in civil proceedings.

Guiffrida was originally arrested on Feb. 1, 2017 and charged with fourth-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor. Police alleged Guiffrida had sexual contact with a 13-year-old, according to Sgt. Jeffrey Dobratz.

According to his arrest warrant, Guiffrida’s probation included conditions that he undergo sex offender evaluation and treatment as deemed necessary.

On July 24, Guiffrida contacted his probation officer and said he received a notification from the teenager from the original case via Skype, the warrant said. Guiffrida told the probation officer he did not respond to the notification. 

Police spoke with the mother of the teen, who said Guiffrida initiated contact and sent the teen an emoji via Skype. The mother said since seeing the message from Guiffrida, the teen became upset, angry and had anxiety, the warrant noted. 

Guiffrida was taken into custody on the violation of probation charge and released on $5,000 bond. He is scheduled to be arraigned in Bristol Superior Court on Monday.


Advertisement
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos