Two injured in fire at Rex Forge in Southington

Two injured in fire at Rex Forge in Southington



SOUTHINGTON — Two people were treated for minor burns after a fire broke out at Rex Forge on Sunday afternoon.

The fire was reported around 2 p.m. at 355 Atwater St. Police officials said smoke was pouring from the building when firefighters arrived.

Battalion Chief Glenn Dube said two employees were treated for minor burns and taken to an area hospital.

Rex Forge, a division of the J. J. Ryan Corp., manufactures forged steel products. Dube said mechanical failure in two presses caused the fire, burning oil and grease primarily. He described he presses as 17 to 18 feet high and the size of small garage.

The fire extended into insulation in the walls and ceiling, breaking through the roof in a couple spots, he said. 

Atwater Street was closed between Route 10 and Canal Street and reopened around 4:30 p.m. An official from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection was monitoring for contaminated runoff near the Quinnipiac River.

LTakores@record-journal.com


203-317-2212


Twitter: @LCTakores


Advertisement
 
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos

X