Local crews cleaning up trees, downed wires after severe storm

Local crews cleaning up trees, downed wires after severe storm

Wednesday morning crews were working to clear trees, wires and utility poles that came down across roads and struck some area homes during Tuesday’s severe storm.

Some schools were closed Wednesday, and others had delays.

Gary Lessor, meteorologist with the Weather Center at Western Connecticut State University, said the storm came through very quickly in the area and aligned with the forecast earlier in the day. Winds reached up to 70 miles an hour in parts of the state and the rainfall totals varied between half of an inch to just over an inch.

"This was the second most active severe weather day across the country in 2018," Lessor said. 

Lessor said the National Weather Service was sending out a survey crew to parts of the state Wednesday afternoon and they would make the official determination if a tornado touched down.

Wallingford Public Utilities Director Rick Hendershot said crews were out in force, some working 16-hour shifts. About 3,500 local residents were still without power Wednesday morning.

The department has 18 local line crews, including six mutual aid crews from Massachusetts and five contracted crews. Hendershot said the southern half of Wallingford had the most damage, and at least 17 utility poles came down.

"This will be a multi-day event," Hendershot said.

Eversource Energy reported 86,467 customers without power as of 8 a.m. on Wednesday.

In Durham, First Selectman Laura Francis said Wednesday morning that approximately 600 customers were still without power.

Regional School District 13 schools were closed.

Francis said as of Wednesday morning, the following roads remained blocked because of powerlines, communication lines or trees across the road: Parmelee Hill Road by Wildwood Lane, Wildwood Circle, Old Washington Trail, Canterbury Drive, Creamery Road by Cedar Drive, Mica Hill Road by Surrey Drive and Little Lane.

“Damage is heavy in multiple towns throughout the state,” Eversource spokesman Mitch Gross said. “It takes time and we’ll continue to move on it but in the meantime it’s all hands on deck.”


Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢

Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢