Application to excavate rare Wallingford sandplain withdrawn

Application to excavate rare Wallingford sandplain withdrawn



reporter photo

WALLINGFORD — A developer looking to excavate sand and build a warehouse/office complex on Toelles Road withdrew his applications to the Planning and Zoning Commission. 

The commission was slated to discuss the proposal at a meeting Monday night until developer Rusty Rogers withdrew two separate applications for special permits to excavate sand and to build a 230,000-square-foot warehouse and 21,000-square foot office building.

It’s unclear if Rogers plans to resubmit the applications. PZC Chairman Jim Seichter said the applications had not been resubmitted as of Wednesday afternoon.  

Town Planner Kacie Hand and Joan Molloy, an attorney representing Rogers, could not be reached for comment. 

The project was proposed for a roughly 25-acre piece of land at 10-20 Toelles Road. Rogers’ proposal garnered attention because environmental experts say the land contains two habitats — a sand barren and dry acidic forest — considered to be critical by the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Environmental groups feared impact the project could have had on the property’s bio-diversity. 

The undeveloped land is currently owned by Allnex USA, which said it planned to sell the land to Rogers if the applications were approved. 

Rogers also submitted a third application to the commission earlier this year to subdivide the 25-acre site from Allnex’s 240-acre property and assign it an address of 10-20 Toelles Road. 

Earlier this summer, Rogers had to withdraw that application for the subdivision and resubmit it because the application was set to exceed the statutory time limit for the commission to act. Once an application is withdrawn and resubmitted, the statutory time limit for a decision is restarted. 

The two applications Rogers withdrew this week, which were submitted after the subdivision application, were set to exceed a decision deadline this month, Hand said in June. 

Seichter said Rogers’ application for the subdivision is still active, but the commission did not discuss it at the Monday meeting. Project representatives did not attend the meeting Monday, he added. 

mzabierek@record-journal.com

203-317-2279

Twitter: @MatthewZabierek


Advertisement
Help Support Quality Local Journalism

SUBSCRIBE TO THE RJ NOW

Latest Videos