FOOTBALL: Sheehan gets early jump and out-runs (and throws) Law

FOOTBALL: Sheehan gets early jump and out-runs (and throws) Law

MILFORD — How’s this for an auspicious start to a season?

The opening kickoff is returned to the opposition 5-yard line. On the first play from scrimmage, the star running back launches into the end zone.

That’s how it went for the Sheehan football team on Friday night at Jonathan Law, where the Titans, coming off their first playoff season in 22 years, opened the 2018 campaign with a 48-14 SCC Tier 3 victory over the Lawmen.

The tone was set right away. Aaron Simmons returned the opening kick to the Law 5 and Terrence Bogan scored the first of his three touchdowns on the first snap. In the second half, Bogan bucked home from 13 and 74 yards.

It wasn’t a completely rosy picture for the T-Men. Senior quarterback Wes Terzi did not play in the first half.

His first-half replacement, Kyle Simmons, more than picked up the slack. The junior twice connected with Jake Smith on 43-yard touchdown passes and ran for a third to stake Sheehan to a 27-7 halftime lead.

Terzi came on in the second half and kept the ball rolling, scoring on a 15-yard run before handing off to Bogan for his final two.

Start to finish, it was virtually all Sheehan. 

Law did have some windows of opportunity early on. Down 7-0, the Lawmen gained possession at midfield off an interception and drove into the red zone before the Titans held at the 6-yard line.

Later in the half, Simmons was intercepted at the Law 6 and Law was able to cash in. Naheim Washington broke free on the outside and galloped all the way down to the Sheehan 10. Washington finished it on the next play for a 7-7 tie 5:25 before halftime.

Undaunted, Simmons got right back on the horse. He aired it out to Jake Smith for a 43-yard strike that put the T-Men back on top 14-7 with 3:23 to go in the half.

On the next possession, a mere 30 seconds later, Simmons and Smith again connected from 43 yards, and the one-two punch had Sheehan ahead 21-7 and the complexion of the game completely changed.

For good measure, the Titans successfully executed an onside kick and Simmons took care of business this time on the ground, rambling home from 5 yards out for a 27-7 lead. 

Ryan Paul had an interception in the second half to help stifle any Law momentum.