Police: Man tried to flee from court

MERIDEN — A New Haven man was taken into custody Thursday morning after police say he tried to flee the courthouse.

David Lilly, 33, of 72 Fairmont Ave., New Haven, was arrested at Meriden Superior Court and charged with interfering with an officer. Lilly was at the courthouse for an arraignment hearing on pending charges including criminal possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, first-degree reckless endangerment and unlawful discharge of a firearm for an incident in Hamden in August.

Lt. Paul Vance, state police spokesman, said Lilly was appearing for the previous offense, and when his name was called he jumped over the bench area and ran into the lobby. Lilly was apprehended by court marshals and detained until a trooper arrived and placed him formerly under arrest on the interfering charge, Vance said.

According to statements in court, Lilly was on probation for federal weapons charges and had violated that probation. Federal marshals were in the courthouse to take Lilly into custody, and the prosecutor James Dinnan alluded to that being the reason for Lilly’s alleged escape attempt.

“His egregious conduct put court personnel and civilians at risk,” Dinnan said.

According to a statement from Hamden police, multiple shots were fired at Slyce Pizza on Aug. 16. No one was injured, but police determined there were three different shooters. Several rounds went into a home on Arch Street where a family was present, including a small child. Police completed an extensive investigation and submitted an arrest warrant application for Lilly in connection with the incident. Dinnan said the Hamden case has a good quality video showing Lilly at the scene of the shooting.

According to the bail commissioner, Lilly has a conviction history including first-degree robbery, threatening, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a firearm. Lilly served five years in jail for the firearm conviction, according to the judicial website.

A public defender was appointed to represent Lilly for the bond hearing only, and said the charge he was charged with was only a misdemeanor, and no one was actually injured.

Lilly made a statement in court to Judge Jack Fisher, and said all the information about his previous convictions was “in his past” and he has never failed to appear at court. Lilly said he was trying to tell his family where he was.

“I wasn’t trying to run,” Lilly said in court.

Fisher set bond for a total of $550,000 and the case will be screened for the part A docket in New Haven Superior Court.

Back to MeridenNews

Latest Comments