Friends to Follow

Stay Connected


Electrical fire causes minor damage to store in Meriden mall


MERIDEN — An electrical fire caused minor damage to Harry’s Eatery in the Westfield Shopping Center early this morning.

Fire Marshal Steve Trella said the call came in at 2 a.m. for activated sprinkler system at the mall. A fire had started due to a short in one of the machines in Harry’s Eatery, which is located on the lower level of the mall, Trella said. There was enough fire to activate the sprinkler system, but the fire did not spread to any other store, Trella said.

There was some light fire and water damage to the store from the incident, Trella said. There were no injuries from the incident and as of 5 a.m. crews were in “clean up mode” and the store is expected to open by the end of the day, Trella said.



Back to MeridenNews
Top Stories of the Week

Police: Wallingford man’s cancer scam nets over $22,000 …
WALLINGFORD — Police say a local man collected over $22,000 through community fundraisers by claiming to have terminal brain cancer, despite never being diagnosed with … more ...

Warrant: Wallingford man shaved head, had people drive him to …
WALLINGFORD — Tyler Tomer’s life changed dramatically in 2014 when he told his girlfriend he was diagnosed with brain cancer and only had six to … more ...

Meriden police capture man after car crash, fire …
MERIDEN — Police have captured a man they said ran from officers after his car struck a police cruiser and another car, causing a fire … more ...

Felony charges added for Meriden man accused in police pursuit, …
MERIDEN — What started as an attempt by a police officer to pull over a motorist for misuse of license plates turned into a police … more ...

Throwback Thursday: Remembering ‘a very different life’ at Meriden’s Undercliff …
MERIDEN — A 1924 predecessor of the Record-Journal described the then-named Undercliff Sanatorium something “in which everyone (in Meriden) takes pride.” Over the course of … more ...

Comments