ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT


Stay Connected
ADVERTISEMENT


Malloy delivers Halloween safety message at Hanover


MERIDEN — Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced Halloween festivities will go on as scheduled today after two years of bad weather kept youth away from trick-or-treating.

Malloy made the announcement at Hanover School Wednesday afternoon surrounded by the student safety patrol, educators and elected officials. Malloy was excited to let the youth know the good news. He also provided safety instructions to follow for the night.

“I’m proud to announce the first time in 3 years, Halloween activities will resume as scheduled,” Malloy said.

Before making formal comments, Malloy went on a brief tour of the school. He was impressed with the classrooms and teachers.

Last year Hurricane Sandy hit the state, causing power outages and unsafe road conditions. In 2011, the October nor’easter covered the state in snow, causing power outages and nasty road conditions. Both storms canceled Halloween event for many communities throughout the region. Malloy was pleased to give everyone a weather report for the spooky and candy-filled evening.

He said temperatures are expected to be in the 50s tonight. Malloy joked that he was glad to be at Hanover School rather than the state’s emergency operations center.

With Halloween back on the calendar, Malloy said in order to keep the night fun, children need to stay safe. He encouraged students to wear reflective clothing, like the bright yellow safety patrol sashes they were wearing. He said carrying flashlights is important, too. Children should never go inside a home to get candy and should always stand outside with parents, Malloy.

“Don’t eat the treats until you arrive home,” he said.

Malloy said he’ll be handing out king size candy bars at the governor’s residence to the first 1,200 people who come to his door step. When asked what he’ll dress up as, Malloy said “the governor.”

Meriden Police Chief Jeffry Cossette was also in attendance to tell the crowd local efforts to provide a safe night.

He said there will be an increased police presence tonight. Motorists should expect youth to be in the road and should drive with extra caution, he said. “We want to make it as safe as possible for the kids,” Cossette said.

Earlier in the day, Lt. Sal Nesci provided more safety tips during a phone interview.

Nesci said parents should accompany their children when trick-or-treating. Parents should also be aware that many of their children’s costumes and masks obscure vision.

“We’d like parents to make sure children are crossing the street safely,” Nesci said.

kprimicerio@record-journal.com (203) 317-2279 Twitter: @KPrimicerioRJ



Back to MeridenNews
Top Stories of the Week

Meriden motorcyclist killed, one woman injured in crash on Berlin …
BERLIN — A Meriden man is dead after crashing his motorcycle into the side of a car making a U-turn on the Berlin Turnpike early … more ...

Two fatal crashes on I-91 in Wallingford early Saturday morning …
WALLINGFORD — Two people have died in two separate crashes along the same stretch of Interstate 91 in Wallingford this morning. State police have identified … more ...

Woman remains hospitalized in fatal turnpike crash, Berlin PD investigating …
BERLIN — A Cromwell woman remains hospitalized following a crash on the Berlin Turnpike over the weekend that resulted in the death of a Meriden … more ...

Meriden resident opening downtown studio and paint bar …
MERIDEN — After receiving her degree in studio art last year, city resident Karen Jaime hosted paint parties at homes, restaurants and other venues, all … more ...

Wallingford cakery moves downtown …
WALLINGFORD — For the first time, Alyssa Nieves was able to look around her cake and cupcake shop and see customers relaxing as they savored … more ...

Comments