NEW HAVEN — Jury selection originally scheduled to begin Tuesday was delayed a day in the case of Frankie Resto, who is charged in the shooting death of Meriden convenience store owner Ibrahim Ghazal last year.
Resto was arrested on July 12, 2012 and charged with murder, murder in the commission of a felony, first-degree robbery and criminal possession of a pistol. Resto is also charged with violation of probation because at the time of the incident he was on probation for a first-degree robbery conviction from 2003.
Resto rejected a plea deal in October that involved 40 years in prison. Resto is represented by attorney Glenn Conway. At trial, Resto faces a maximum of 60 years in prison just for the murder charge if he is found guilty.
Family members of Ghazal have attended the pretrial court appearances, and in a statement issued last month said the death of Ghazal has “devastated and destroyed” the family. In a typed statement, Sudquieh Ghazal, wife of the victim, said the entire family, which includes six children, have “bouts of depression” when they think about how Ibrahim Ghazal died.