NEW HAVEN — A New Haven man pleaded not guilty Tuesday in connection with an October shooting at a local grocery.
Jose Saez, 32, of 151 Saltonstall St., was charged last week with first-degree assault, criminal use of a firearm, carrying a pistol without a permit, and unlawful discharge of a firearm. He is being held on $150,000 bond.
During his appearance in New Haven Superior Court, Saez said he is trying to hire a private attorney. According to prosecutors, the state is investigating if Saez, who has prior robbery and drug convictions, can be considered a persistent offender. The case was continued until Jan. 17
According to the arrest warrant, on Oct. 11 staff at MidState Medical Center called police about 9:40 p.m. to report a patient with a gunshot wound to his shoulder. The man told police he was at Angelina Grocery on Colony Street in Meriden earlier with Saez . He and Saez were drinking while Saez was working at the grocery store. Another man, identified as Jose Nieves, joined them and began flirting with a girl in the store, the warrant said.
When the man told Nieves to leave the woman alone, the two got into an argument, the warrant said. Nieves went into the back room to tell Saez what happened and then confronted the man. The man said Nieves tried to punch him and Saez hit the man in the face with a gun and he was shot in the shoulder.
A security camera shows Saez firing the gun twice at the victim, the warrant said.
firstname.lastname@example.org (203) 317-2225 Twitter: @LaurenSievertRJ