Stay Connected


LaRosa Construction crews begin excavation work at the former Hub site in downtown Meriden, March 28, 2014. | Christopher Zajac / Record-Journal
A excavator from LaRosa Construction loads top soil into a dump truck at the former Hub site in downtown Meriden, March 28, 2014. | Christopher Zajac / Record-Journal

Work resumes at Meriden Hub site


MERIDEN — After a cold and snowy winter, work resumed at the Hub site last week and is expected to continue for the foreseeable future.

The $13 million Hub project is years in the making and initial work on the 14-acre site got underway in early January, when trees, curbing, light poles and a former bank building that stood at the southwest corner of the parcel were removed.

Shortly after the work began, the area was hit with several snowstorms that blanketed the city. Cold temperatures left snow on the site until recently.

The long winter allowed time for the general contractor, Meriden-based LaRosa Construction, to firm up its environmental remediation plans for the contaminated Brownfields site.

“They are moving the topsoil and have started removing the gravel from where the parking lot was,” Public Works Director Robert Bass said. “They are doing that in preparation ... for remediation.”

There are five specific “hot spots,” where there is a “higher concentration of pollutants,” around the site, Bass said.

Soil from those five locations has been removed or is in the process of being moved, mostly toward the north end of the Hub site near Mill Street. A large pile of soil in the center of the site has also been relocated. In total, close to 100,000 tons of soil will be removed from the Hub over the next 18 months, though a significant amount of that earth will be re-purposed on the site.

The redevelopment project includes uncovering Harbor Brook and using the site for flood control. It will double as a park with an amphitheater, pedestrian bridge, walking trails and other amenities.

In the coming weeks, a web camera will be added to the site so that residents can view progress. Bass said the equipment has been ordered.

dbrechlin@recordjournal.com 203-317-2266 Twitter: @DanBrechlinRJ



Back to MeridenNews
Top Stories of the Week

Police: 2 adults, 5 juveniles arrested after breaking into Lyman …
WALLINGFORD – Two adults and five juveniles accused of breaking into Lyman Hall High School are scheduled to appear in court Friday. Montgomery Lamar Barshawn, … more ...

Police: Drunk Wallingford man wielded gun inside Jake’s Martini Bar …
WALLINGFORD – Police say a local man caused a disturbance and brandished a handgun inside a Center Street bar after he was refused service. David … more ...

Meriden man gets 25 years for assault that left man …
HARTFORD — A Meriden man involved in an assault that left one man permanently disabled and another seriously injured has been sentenced to serve 25 … more ...

Meriden man accused of “groping” co-worker in Cheshire …
CHESHIRE — A Meriden man accused of “groping” a co-worker was released on $10,000 bond and is due to appear in court next week, police … more ...

5 Things you need to know about Rosabianca Vineyards of …
NORTHFORD — Wine tasting can be a lot of fun, and every vineyard does it differently. Rosabianca Vineyards in Northford opened in January after Charlie … more ...

Comments