image
Fire crews work to finish extinguishing a fire at a home on North Wall Street in Meriden Wednesday afternoon. The fire started when a resident was cooking on a gas grill that malfunctioned. (Lauren Sievert |Record-Journal)

Grill starts fire on North Wall St.

MERIDEN — A malfunctioning gas grill started a fire on the porch of a North Wall Street home Wednesday afternoon.

Assistant Fire Chief Mark Finnegan said one resident was cooking on a gas grill about 1:15 p.m. when there was some kind of malfunction and the fire went “outside of the cooking area.” The fire spread to a three-season porch attached to the home and started to spread into the roof above the porch, Finnegan said. Fire crews were able to stop the fire from spreading to the main house, Finnegan said.

No injuries were reported.

Police blocked off sections of Atkins Street near the intersection with North Wall Street so fire crews could run hoses from hydrants. The fire marshal was on scene investigating, Finnegan said. It looks like the resident won’t be displaced from the home, Finnegan said.



Back to MeridenNews || Back To Top

Latest Comments