September 11, 2017 01:06AM
By Bryan Lipiner,
CHESHIRE — Educational Playcare, a regional child care business, recently opened a new center on Route 10 in Cheshire. Here are five things to know about the facility.
1. The day care center, at 1430 Highland Ave., is Educational Playcare’s 15th location in Connecticut. Owner Gerry Pastor said the center spent about a year looking to expand in several towns, and decided on Cheshire because demographics were consistent with services the center provides.
“For really quite some time, we’ve had families asking us to move into the Cheshire area,” executive director Nancy Walsh said. “It’s a beautiful location, beautiful center.”
2. The center provides programs for children 6 weeks old through preschool. The building has 17 classrooms, 12 of them for children under 3 years old and five classrooms for children 3 and older. The facility also has an indoor activity room, teacher resource rooms and conference rooms.
3. The curriculum includes a variety of arts, music, and fitness classes. The center also provides lunch for students.
“A great deal of the day is dedicated toward education activities,” Pastor said. “It’s really founded upon integrating play into learning.”
4. Educational Playcare’s Wallingford location has been full for at least a year. The Cheshire center can accommodate more than 200 students. “We already have quite a few enrolled,” Pastor said.
5. Construction began about eight months ago, and the facility opened last week. Though most of the work has been completed, the playground is still under construction. “It’s not a finished product, but it’s really beautiful,” Pastor said.