Fire that destroyed two Meriden Y mini buses deemed unintentional

Fire that destroyed two Meriden Y mini buses deemed unintentional



MERIDEN — The fire that destroyed two YMCA buses Monday morning was accidental, according to Fire Marshal Steve Trella.

About 1:40 a.m. Monday, firefighters responded to the parking lot at 44 Hanover St. and found one of the Meriden YMCA buses in flames. The fire ripped through the front compartment of one bus and spread to a second bus, Trella said.

No one was injured.

“Initially there were reports that someone lit the fire, but I don’t see evidence that that’s what happened,” Trella said.

“All evidence leads me to believe that it was an accidental fire,” he said.

There were heavy rains in Meriden Sunday night into Monday morning. The rain caused electrical damage in the first bus, which in turn started the fire, Trella said. Parts in the engine were made from magnesium, he added, which increased the fire. Firefighters used foam to put out the fire.

The Meriden YMCA’s chief executive, John Benigni, said the organization is talking to its insurance company to figure out the next steps in replacing the buses.

“We have other buses, three other buses,” he said. “We used the three other ones today and made it work.”

Benigni added they are also figuring out the value of the two destroyed buses.

“We still have to determine the value,” he said. “They are from 2005 — they are not new buses. They definitely had value to the organization. They need to be replaced in some capacity.”

ppaguaga@record-journal.com
203-317-2235
Twitter: @PetePaguaga


Advertisement

Read more articles like this and help support local journalism by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access just 99¢

Read more articles like this by subscribing to the Record Journal.

Unlimited Digital Access for just 99¢