Fire Marshal: Burning towel caused Meriden apartment fire

Fire Marshal: Burning towel caused Meriden apartment fire

Record-Journal
image

Firefighters responded to Atrium Condominiums about 11:30 a.m. Saturday for an apartment fire. | Ashley Kus, Record-Journal

MERIDEN — An East Main Street apartment fire that displaced three people Saturday started after a towel caught fire while a child was taking pizza out of the oven, according to Fire Marshal Steve Trella.

Firefighters responded to Atrium Condominiums, 1274 E. Main St., about 11:30 a.m. Saturday. Trella said when the child took the pizza out of the oven, it ignited the towel. The child put the towel on the counter and the fire spread to cabinets and other parts of the kitchen, causing extensive damage.

Trella said when the child left the apartment to find a fire extinguisher, the apartment’s self-latching doors prevented the fire from spreading to other units.

“It could have been much, much worse than it was,” Trella said.

No injuries were reported but the three residents of the unit were displaced. Residents from nearby apartments were evacuated but were permitted to return to their apartments.


Latest Videos



X