Meriden mayor releases appointments to cemetery task force

Meriden mayor releases appointments to cemetery task force

Record-Journal


MERIDEN — Mayor Kevin Scarpati on Monday night released his list of appointees to a new task force that will study the future of city-owned East Cemetery.

The City Council voted to establish the task force last month after hiring a consulting firm to get information on the cemetery’s history, layout and development potential.

The historic cemetery, located off East Main Street on Miles Place, has been owned by the city since 1845. The city budgets $5,000 a year for maintenance.

BSC Group conducted a $21,000 study that raised the possibility of resuming the sale of burial plots. BSC said sales could produce up to $3.75 million in revenue for the city over time if a $250,000 investment is made to develop the site. The task force will review the 42-page report.

Scarpati released his list of appointments to the City Council during its Monday meeting. Paul D’Astous, Brian Cofrancesco, Gary Shamock, William Kroll, Dan Zabrowski, Mary Ellen Mordarski and Paul Daniels were selected.

The council has two weeks to veto any of Scarpati’s appointments, said Corporation Counsel Attorney Michael Quinn.

ltauss@record-journal.com 203-317-2231 Twitter: @LeighTaussRJ


Support Quality Local Journalism

Latest Videos




X