September 16, 2013 01:37PM
By Farrah Duffany
SOUTHINGTON — The public may see a change in the number of mobile vendors at the Apple Harvest Festival next month after the Town Council voted to approve updated regulations for vendors.
The town’s ordinance committee last month considered changes to the rules for mobile vendors, looking into requiring photo identification with applications, raising fees and limiting the overall number of vendors to increase safety.
“We’ve had some problems over the last several years with vendors hauling goods virtually without any sort of control,” said Town Manager Garry Brumback.
Town Councilor Cheryl Lounsbury, the ordinance committee chairwoman, said changes had to be made because the police and members of the Apple Harvest Festival Committee were complaining about the number of vendors with carts and that there wasn’t control over the items they were selling.
“That’s why we passed it at the last council meeting because it had to go from us to the police commission so that it was in place for the festival,” Lounsbury said.
During last week’s regular meeting, the council approved the updates to the ordinance, which included limiting the number of mobile vendors at special events to six. For events like the Apple Harvest Festival and the Italian Festival, vendors have to pay $300 for a special permit. Photo identification will also be required for the vendors. Different vendors also can’t sell the same items to eliminate duplication.
“Having less of them, I think it’s a big public safety gain for us because we can control things more,” said Town Councilor Chris Palmieri, chairman of the Apple Harvest Festival Committee. “I really feel it’s going to be very beneficial to us especially on days with parades.”