Abandoned beaker causes Southington chemical lab to fill with smoke

Abandoned beaker causes Southington chemical lab to fill with smoke

Record-Journal

SOUTHINGTON — Southington firefighters ventilated the United States Chemical Corp. building Friday night after a beaker left on a lit burner caused the laboratory to fill with smoke.

Firefighters responded to a smoke alarm sounding at the business located at 609 Old Turnpike Road just before 8 p.m., according to Battalion Chief Jimmy Paul. The company’s employees had already left for the day and firefighters needed a key holder to access the building. Upon entry, firefighters found the entire lab area of the building filled with smoke.

“It was some type of detergent in a beaker on a burner they accidentally left on,” Paul said.

No one was treated for smoke inhalation, as the building was empty at the time. Firefighters ventilated the building and cleared the scene after about an hour.

ltauss@record-journal.com

203-317-2231 Twitter: @LeighTaussRJ


Support Quality Local Journalism

Latest Videos




X