Friends to Follow

Stay Connected


Bob Ettinger, sits at a frozen computer station while attempting to enroll in the nation’s new health insurance system at the Community Health Center, Tuesday in New Britain, Conn. A combination of high demand and technical glitches seemed to overwhelm the online system early in the day. | (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
 during their NCAA college basketball media day, Monday, Sept. 30, 2013, in Storrs, Conn. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill) Elly Banos attempts to enroll in the nation’s new health insurance system at the Community Health Center, Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013, in New Britain, Conn. A combination of high demand and technical glitches seemed to overwhelm the online system early in the day. Banos had been trying to use it for three hours at the center. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill) Bob Ettinger tries to enroll in the nation’s new health insurance system at the Community Health Center, Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013, in New Britain, Conn. A combination of high demand and technical glitches seemed to overwhelm the online system.  (AP Photo/Jessica Hill) Associates at Community Health Center wear buttons reading

Thousands flock to Connecticut’s health exchange website


HARTFORD — The first day of open enrollment for the state’s new health insurance exchange was cheered as a success by Connecticut officials, with tens of thousands of people visiting the exchange’s website or calling the toll-free number seeking information, and 167 actually signing up for health plans.

At an enrollment fair held at the Community Health Center of New Britain, there was a steady stream of applicants who had either scheduled appointments for enrollment assistance, or walked in off the street hoping to sign up for coverage. The health center serves about 26,000 uninsured residents.

Despite some computer glitch issues and delays, 48-year-old Elly Banos said she was still pleased to be one step closer to enrolling in health insurance. The New Britain woman, who spent the entire afternoon at the health center going through her options, has been without coverage for year-and-a-half due to a layoff. She said she’s been holding her breath and “thanking God every day that I don’t get sick or get into a car accident.”

When she heard about the open enrollment, Banos said she decided to sign up on the first day.

“I don’t want to wait for the last minute,” said Banos, who was excited to learn she could get good individual coverage for $70 to $200 a month, or possibly qualify for the expanded Medicaid coverage.

Adrienne Lombardo, 63, of New Britain, has been without insurance coverage for two years and was excited about the prospect of possibly getting Medicaid coverage.

“Now I can get something done for my knee instead of worrying that my knee is getting worse,” she said.

Of the 167 health plan enrollees, 83 were for subsidized purchases of commercial insurance products and 84 for Medicaid. Officials at Access Health CT, the health insurance exchange, expect to enroll about 100,000 between now and March 31, 2014.

Access Health’s CEO Kevin Counihan acknowledged being surprised by the number of people who actually enrolled in plans on Tuesday. He said he had expected only one or two people to sign up for coverage, considering it won’t begin until Jan. 1. People have until Dec. 15 to enroll for coverage beginning in 2014.

“I think it shows the demand for this,” Counihan said.

As of 4 p.m., 28,200 people had visited Access Health CT’s website and 1,930 people had called the toll-free number, which was open until 8 p.m. The line will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekdays throughout the open enrollment process and from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturdays.

While there were some glitches with the Access Health CT website and the federal data hub, exchange officials said any wait times for the web page were relatively short.

“Because we took the time and effort to be ready, to handle the calls, to have our ducks in a row if you will, we are in far better shape than those states and governors that have turned their back on this historic program and historic offering,” Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said at a ribbon-cutting ceremony.



Back to State
Top Stories of the Week

Police: Wallingford man’s cancer scam nets over $22,000 …
WALLINGFORD — Police say a local man collected over $22,000 through community fundraisers by claiming to have terminal brain cancer, despite never being diagnosed with … more ...

Warrant: Wallingford man shaved head, had people drive him to …
WALLINGFORD — Tyler Tomer’s life changed dramatically in 2014 when he told his girlfriend he was diagnosed with brain cancer and only had six to … more ...

Meriden police capture man after car crash, fire …
MERIDEN — Police have captured a man they said ran from officers after his car struck a police cruiser and another car, causing a fire … more ...

Felony charges added for Meriden man accused in police pursuit, …
MERIDEN — What started as an attempt by a police officer to pull over a motorist for misuse of license plates turned into a police … more ...

Throwback Thursday: Remembering ‘a very different life’ at Meriden’s Undercliff …
MERIDEN — A 1924 predecessor of the Record-Journal described the then-named Undercliff Sanatorium something “in which everyone (in Meriden) takes pride.” Over the course of … more ...

Comments