ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Stay Connected
ADVERTISEMENT


Court orders new trials for former Hartford mayor


HARTFORD — The Connecticut Appellate Court on Monday overturned the corruption convictions of former Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez and ordered new trials that separate the bribery and extortion charges against him.

Perez, the city’s first Hispanic mayor, was convicted in 2010 of accepting a bribe from a city contractor in the form of home improvements and trying to extort $100,000 from a developer. He was sentenced to three years in prison but is free on an appeal bond.

The state’s second-highest court ruled the charges against him were improperly combined into one case. The court found that while evidence existed to support the convictions, Judge Julia Dewey’s decision to combine the cases in a single trial was unfair to Perez.

Defense lawyer Hubert Santos had argued that trying both cases together stacked the deck in a climate where political corruption in Connecticut had been front-page news. He also argued that by presenting a defense in a single trial, the mayor was unable to testify in the bribery case while maintaining his right not to take the stand in the extortion case.

“Despite the orderly manner in which the state presented the evidence, first of the bribery case and then of the extortion case, we conclude that the jury was not able to consider each charge separately and distinctly,” Chief Judge Alexandra DiPentima wrote.

Santos did not immediately respond to a request Monday seeking comment.

Mark Dupuis, a spokesman for the chief state’s attorney’s office, said prosecutors were reviewing the opinion Monday. They have the option of dropping the cases, going forward with new trials, or appealing to the state Supreme Court.

Perez, 56, was first arrested in January 2009. He was charged with receiving a bribe from a city contractor and friend, Carlos Costa, by paying only $20,000 for $40,000 worth of home renovations performed by Costa. He paid that much only after he was questioned by a grand jury about the improvements, prosecutors said. Costa told authorities he didn’t expect to get paid because that was the “cost of me doing business with the city,” according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

In the second case, Perez was arrested in September 2009 when state authorities charged him and former state Rep. Abraham Giles of Hartford with trying to extort a $100,000 payment to Giles from a developer who wanted to buy city-owned property. The alleged deal never went through.

Perez is a one-time gang leader who rose from an impoverished childhood to become a community activist and, in 2001, mayor . He resigned the mayor’s job in 2010 after he was convicted.



Back to State
Top Stories of the Week

Four charged after man stabbed in neck outside Meriden residence …
MERIDEN — A police investigation led to the arrest of four people this month on assault charges stemming from a fight outside a Springdale Avenue … more ...

Police: Former employee and accomplice stole cash register from Meriden …
MERIDEN — Two city women face burglary charges after police say they stole a cash register from a Colony Street restaurant. The owner of the … more ...

Wilcox principal on leave, letters detail ‘leadership and communication’ issues …
MERIDEN — Lisa Hylwa, the principal of Wilcox Technical High School, was placed on administrative leave in January pending an investigation by the state technical … more ...

Man who drove killer of Meriden convenience store owner accepts …
MERIDEN — Willie Breyette, the New Britain man accused of being an accomplice in the 2012 killing of a 70-year-old convenience store owner, agreed to … more ...

Meriden man charged after calling 911 nine times in one …
MERIDEN — Police say a city man was arrested on multiple charges after he called 911 several times on one night but would not cooperate … more ...

Latest Comments