EDITORIAL: Southington officials now wary of Tilcon plan

EDITORIAL: Southington officials now wary of Tilcon plan

Record-Journal


Some Southington town councilors want to take another look at a deal that would give Tilcon permission to quarry on land that’s part of the Shuttle Meadow Reservoir watershed in exchange for the preservation of 275 acres of company-owned land as open space, land that includes 75 acres in Southington.

The second look is in response to opposition that has grown over the past year since Town Manager Garry Brumback wrote a letter to the state saying the town was not opposed to the arrangement. The deal requires the approval of the General Assembly.

Republican Town Councilor Victoria Triano told the Record-Journal it’s important for state officials to be aware that there is opposition to quarrying near Crescent Lake. She and other councilors are against the plan, and want it known that they don’t favor the expansion of Tilcon operations. “We need to be able to stop that,” she said. “There’s a lot at stake, not just walking paths.”

In commenting about the arrangement in May last year, we urged caution: “Connecticut is in the process of studying its public water supplies and watershed, and any idea of allowing intensive excavation of this or that watershed area should only be considered as part of that larger study. No piecemeal changes, please. Not when water quality could be compromised and scenic vistas may be destroyed.”

So it’s important that Southington make it clear that the letter of a year ago no longer represents the town’s position. A council vote is expected to rescind the letter at a meeting on Sept. 11.

The growing skepticism about the deal is a sign of growing environmental awareness, and Southington’s council should be commended for the willingness to respond to criticism and concern about the arrangement. You can take back a letter, what you can’t take back is natural environment once it’s gone.


Advertisement

Latest Videos

X