Stay Connected


New generators for Southington assisted living centers


SOUTHINGTON — The executive directors of Mulberry Gardens and The Orchards said new generators will leave both facilities better prepared for power outages.

Both assisted living centers, owned by Central Connecticut Senior Health Services, previously had generators that provided limited power. New generators should be able to supply power to the entire facilities for up to four days.

Neither center lost power during the February blizzard, Super Storm Sandy in 2012 or Hurricane Irene in 2011.

“We were lucky, but soon enough the odds could go against us,” said Perry Phillips, executive director of Mulberry Gardens. “If we lost power this past February that would have been disastrous.”

Mulberry Gardens has about 100 residents.

When the care centers were built 15 years ago they had generators that supplied limited power, including emergency lights and medical equipment.

“Residents have more needs now,” Phillips said.

Audrey Vinci, executive director at The Orchards, said the new generator will improve safety and security. The Orchards is also home to about 100 residents.

“It seems like we’re getting these freaky storms that come out of nowhere and this will be a plus,” Vinci said.

Florence Lecuyer, a resident of Mulberry Gardens, said the new generator makes her feel better.

“People are telling me it’s going to be a bad winter,” she said.

The funding for the two generators came out of each care centers capital budget and was planned ahead of time, Phillips said.

smul@record-journal.com 203-317-2275 Twitter: @ssavanimal



Back to SouthingtonNews
Top Stories of the Week

Police: 2 adults, 5 juveniles arrested after breaking into Lyman …
WALLINGFORD – Two adults and five juveniles accused of breaking into Lyman Hall High School are scheduled to appear in court Friday. Montgomery Lamar Barshawn, … more ...

Police: Drunk Wallingford man wielded gun inside Jake’s Martini Bar …
WALLINGFORD – Police say a local man caused a disturbance and brandished a handgun inside a Center Street bar after he was refused service. David … more ...

Meriden man gets 25 years for assault that left man …
HARTFORD — A Meriden man involved in an assault that left one man permanently disabled and another seriously injured has been sentenced to serve 25 … more ...

Man charged in March drug raid arrested again by Meriden …
MERIDEN — Police surveillance led to the arrest of two people on drug charges last week, including a 25-year-old city man previously arrested in March … more ...

Meriden man accused of “groping” co-worker in Cheshire …
CHESHIRE — A Meriden man accused of “groping” a co-worker was released on $10,000 bond and is due to appear in court next week, police … more ...

Comments