BERLIN — Local officials are investigating a house explosion on Memorial Day that left a veteran in his 80s seriously injured.
Fire companies responded to reports of a fire at 239 Christian Lane at approximately 10:45 a.m. on Monday. When they arrived, the house was engulfed in flames.
Berlin Fire Marshal Steven Waznia said the explosion was likely caused by a gas leak, however the source of the leak has yet to be determined.
Before first responders arrived, neighbors were able to pull out the occupant of the home – a Marine veteran in his 80s.
According to Waznia, the man was taken to Hartford Hospital and then transferred to the Bridgeport Hospital burn unit. He suffered burns to his hands and face.
Jerry Bialczak, a neighbor, said he was watching television in his bedroom when he felt a “big bang.”
“I saw water hoses running down the street. It was a big commotion and I saw a huge cloud of black smoke,” he said.