The following measures have been taken by the town to limit the possible exposure and the spread of the COVID-19 virus:
Town Hall will remain open for business, but the activities at the following locations have been curtailed as noted below for the period beginning March 16, 2020 through March 30, 2020:
- The Berlin Senior Center is closed to the public and all activities are cancelled.
Congregate meals provided by CW Resources are cancelled. Transportation will be provided only for medical appointments and the weekly grocery shopping trip. Senior Center Staff will continue to be in the building during normal business hours and will be available by phone.
- The Berlin Parks and Recreation Department will cancel all programs that take place in this time frame but will continue to register for spring and some summer programs.
- The Berlin Community Center will adjust its hours to close at the same time as the Parks and Recreation Department with the exception of Fridays when it will remain open until 5 p.m.
- The Exercise Room within the Community Center was to be cleaned and reopened to residents on Wednesday, March 18.
- The Berlin Peck Memorial Library will cancel all programs that take place in this time frame and will not accept any meeting room bookings but will remain open to the public with staff on hand.
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020, department heads of the Town Hall were to meet to discuss the roll-out of the town’s business continuity plans in anticipation of the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Updates will be provided as events unfold. In the meantime, please note the preventative measures suggested by the CDC and the Central CT Health District:
• Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as much as possible.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home if you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue into the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
• Clean and disinfect mobile devices (check with the manufacturer on the correct way to clean devices).