Cheshire facing widespread power outages, tree damage after Isaias

Cheshire facing widespread power outages, tree damage after Isaias

On Tuesday, tropical storm Isaias hit Cheshire hard, resulting in multiple downed trees and thousands of residents without power. Town Manager Sean Kimball tweeted this morning that, according to Eversource, over 95 percent of Cheshire remains without power. 

Kimball also stated in his tweet that Eversource is approximating full power restoration to the Town will take “a couple of days”.

Official Town buildings; such as the Town Hall and the Police Department are operating via a generator, with no idea as to when the power will be restored.

"I estimate hundreds of trees down, many of which are entangled in power lines," said Cheshire Police Chief Neil Dryfe. "Dozens of streets are impassable including Waterbury Road (Route 70) and Bethany Mountain Road (Route 42). All traffic lights on Route 10 are out causing traffic congestion."

Dryfe is also concerned that Cheshire residents, in an attempt to eagerly clean their property, may come across unsafe conditions.

"People need to remember to stay away from any downed power lines and if they are driving and they come across a traffic light that is out, they should treat it like a four-way stop sign," he added. 

On Wednesday morning Governor Ned Lamont declared Connecticut to be in a “State of Emergency” in response to the widespread poweroutages across the entire state. 

“With more than 700,000 customers experiencing power outages, we need to take several emergency steps that will facilitate restoration,” Governor Lamont said. “I remain in consistent communication with municipal leaders and utility officials so that we can move resources to where they are most needed at this time. I continue to have regular communications with our Emergency Operations Center, which is managing both the response to this storm and our continued response to COVID-19.”

According to Cheshires Assistant Town Manager Arnett Talbot, the Town is opening a charging station at Highland Elementary School starting at 4 p.m. today for residents without power. Talbot confirmed the charging station will operate at Highland Elementary until the weekend where officials will reassess what is needed.

Local school, election and coronavirus news is more crucial now than ever. Help our newsroom deliver the coverage you deserve. Support Local news.

More From This Section

Latest Videos