At the Record-Journal we're committed to delivering FREE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE during this crisis.
Today, in this financially challenging time, we are asking for a little extra support from all of you to help us keep our newsroom on the job.

We're committed to delivering FREE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE during this crisis. Help keep our reporters on the front lines.

Probe into police-involved shooting in Cheshire remains open

Probe into police-involved shooting in Cheshire remains open

reporter photo

CHESHIRE — Three police officers placed on administrative duty following an officer-involved shooting in June returned to regular duty 10 days after the incident, though the investigation continues. 

Officers Michael Aquillino, Vincent Nastri and Sgt. Michael Durkee returned fire on June 22 after a man wearing a ballistic vest left his home and fired shots at officers during a domestic incident.

Police Chief Neil Dryfe said the officers were put on administrative duty immediately per protocol, but returned to regular duty in 10 days.

Robert Sage, supervisory inspector with the New Haven State’s Attorney’s Office, said State’s Attorney Patrick Griffin cleared the officers to return to full duty. He declined further comment due to the ongoing investigation.

On the evening of June 22, police were called to 137 Fairway Drive by a woman who said her friend was involved in a domestic violence incident and may be barricaded inside her condominium with an infant, according to the arrest warrant for Cameron Pernin, 29, of 137 Fairway Drive. He was charged with risk of injury to a minor, first-degree threatening, third-degree assault, criminal possession of a weapon and two counts of attempted first-degree assault.

A short time after police arrived, the woman left the house carrying the infant. Pernin then came out and fired his gun at police, the warrant said. Officers returned fire, striking Pernin in the left hand. After being struck, he went back in the home and barricaded himself inside.

Pernin surrendered about 20 minutes later and was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury. No officers were injured. 

After taking Pernin into custody, officers searched the condominium and found a semi-automatic handgun on the kitchen counter that appeared to have blood on it, the warrant said.

Per statute, state police are investigating the incident and will share their findings with the state’s attorney, who will determine if the officers acted properly.

Pernin is next scheduled to appear at the New Haven Judicial District Courthouse on Sept. 11.
Twitter: @baileyfaywright