MERIDEN — A 17-year-old who was critically injured in a Broad Street house fire last weekend is expected to make a full recovery from his injuries after being treated at a hospital in the Bronx, according to his sister.
Shan Brown, who lives at 1060 Broad St., was away on a trip when the house caught fire on Saturday with her two children, mother and brother inside, according to city officials. She watched her home become engulfed in flames on her Ring doorbell app while vacationing. Her brother, 17-year-old Mekhi McLean, however, was reportedly trapped unconscious on the third floor.
On Wednesday, Brown updated city officials that McLean will make a full recovery, according to Tony Terzi, communications specialist for the city. McLean was previously listed in critical but stable condition at a hospital in Bronx, New York.
Brown watched on the app as three good Samaritans broke down the door of her home, creating a pathway for children and mother to escape the building, Terzi said.
Upon arriving at the scene firefighters attempted to climb a stairwell inside the house but were repelled by the fire. Crews then set up and scaled a 35-foot ladder outside the home before breaking open a window and pulling McLean from the building.
Four firefighters sustained injuries during the rescue but have all been treated and discharged from regional hospitals.
Brown and her family are currently living at an area hotel while searching for permanent housing, according to Terzi. The city plans to release more details on the incident in the coming weeks. Fire Marshal John Yacovino previously said they do not think the fire was intentionally set.