Business recovering after fire at 290 Pratt St. in Meriden earlier this month

Business recovering after fire at 290 Pratt St. in Meriden earlier this month



reporter photo

MERIDEN — Operations at Cable Management are still affected after a fire in a key piece of equipment earlier this month.

Firefighters were on there way to another call when they noticed heavy smoke coming from the lower part of the building at 290 Pratt St. around 10:10 a.m. The fire started in Cable Management, a metal recycling business in the basement, according to Deputy Fire Chief Ryan Dunn. Fire sprinklers helped prevent it from spreading. 

The fire started in a piece of machinery that is used to separate copper wire from the insulation around it, Fire Marshal John Yacovino said. It appears a piece of hot metal ignited dust from the process. The fire, which was ruled accidental, was contained to the machine. 

Joshua Trudeau, a representative from Cable Management, said on Friday that the fire has affected the business because of the importance of the machine destroyed by the fire. The company’s operations have been reduced by 60 to 70 percent.

“Financially it has been really difficult,” Trudeau said. “Luckily no one got hurt...We’re making due.”

Trudeau said they are waiting to get a replacement machine, which will have to go through the permitting process. The company has not had to lay off any of its 30 employees, but some hours have been reduced. 

The new machine is equipped with fire suppression technology. If it detects a spark it will shut down and suppress any fires, Trudeau said.

The building was evacuated during the incident.

lsellew@record-journal.com
203-317-2225
Twitter: @LaurenSellewRJ


Advertisement