MERIDEN — City officials confirmed Tuesday that a Maloney High School student who tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday is a football player who attended a sports rally at the state Capitol calling for football to be played this fall.
City public health officials began contact tracing of all the Maloney student’s contacts on Friday and continued through Saturday. It wasn’t clear if the state had begun contact tracing of those who attended the rally, which attracted over 1,000 people. State public health officials could not be reached for comment.
But the city has asked for more state funding to bolster its contact tracing program, which began in March.
The Maloney student’s case follows another student who tested positive for COVID-19, reported last week at Lincoln Middle School. That case led to the 14-day quarantine of about 24 students and an additional 14 team members of the Meriden Raiders youth football team who attended Washington Middle School. It was the second positive case involving a member of the Meriden Raiders football league, which is not a CIAC-sanctioned program.
The three cases have impacted about 100 adults and students, Meriden Health and Human Services Director Lea Crown said Monday.
Mayor Kevin Scarpati said he has received several complaints about Raiders coaches not wearing masks or practicing social distancing with the players.
City and health department officials held a meeting Tuesday afternoon to discuss the positive COVID-19 cases, and the youth leagues, but nothing was finalized, according to City Manager Timothy Coon.