At the Record-Journal we're committed to delivering FREE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE during this crisis.
Today, in this financially challenging time, we are asking for a little extra support from all of you to help us keep our newsroom on the job.

We're committed to delivering FREE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE during this crisis. Help keep our reporters on the front lines.

Future of Mamma Mia pizzeria in Southington uncertain after fire

Future of Mamma Mia pizzeria in Southington uncertain after fire

reporter photo

SOUTHINGTON — There’s no word on whether Mamma Mia, an Italian pizzeria that opened in November, will reopen after a fire in April.

Despite social media posts since the fire, restaurant owners haven’t addressed questions from the media or customers about whether they’ll reopen.

Luigi Camputaro owns the restaurant. He's helped by his three nephews, who also run a banquet facility in Italy and his daughter Marina Geraci of Southington.

Phone and social media messages were not returned Friday.

According to town records, the building is owned by the estate of Asterios Ftergiotis. The mailing address was listed as Catherine Ftergiotis of Medford, Massachusetts. She couldn’t be reached for comment Friday.

On its Facebook page, the restaurant posted its thanks for the messages of support from customers following the fire.

“We are temporarily closed due to a fire. We thank you for your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience,” owners wrote on April 20.

The Camputaro family renovated the former diner late last year and expanded the building to accommodate a 6,000 pound pizza oven special-ordered from Italy.

According to fire Battalion Chief Eric Heath, firefighters found fire coming from a rear exhaust vent and heavy smoke inside and outside the night of the fire. It was extinguished in about an hour and there were no injuries.

Damage was the heaviest in the kitchen and stairwell behind the dining area. Ceiling tiles were destroyed when firefighters turned hoses on them, wiring was destroyed and there was smoke damage throughout the building. Fire from the first floor kitchen area charred the stairwell and joists for the second floor.

John Smigel, Southington’s chief building official, said he hasn’t heard from building or restaurant owners since the fire and hasn’t seen activity on the site.

“The damage was sufficient enough that they’ll have to, if not replace some of the structural elements, to repair it,” he said Friday.

That work would require approval from the Building Department, according to Smigel, and so far there’s been no request to do so.

Inactivity a month after a fire wasn’t unusual to him since the matter has to be handled by an insurance company.
Twitter: @JBuchananRJ