SOUTHINGTON — New managers of Mamma Mia restaurant on Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike are renovating after a fire last year and plan to reopen.
A fire last April heavily damaged the kitchen, burned wiring and ceiling tiles and left the restaurant with smoke damage throughout. Mamma Mia had opened in December of 2018.
Rebuilding began early this year. The restaurant’s Facebook page has posted photos of renovations as well as updates that Mamma Mia is now managed by new partners.
The new partners could not be reached for comment Tuesday, but advertised an opening to social media fans from Wednesday to Friday of this week.
“After a successful friends and family opening this past weekend we’re inviting all our social media followers to an exclusive soft opening,” the restaurant owners announced Monday via Facebook.
They also announced a planned opening date of Dec. 1 for the newly-renovated Mamma Mia restaurant.
Luigi Camputaro owned the restaurant. He was helped by his three nephews who also run a banquet facility in Italy as well as his daughter Marina Geraci of Southington.
They had renovated the former diner in 2018 and expanded the building to accommodate a 6,000 pound pizza oven special-ordered from Italy.
The restaurant at 1765 Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike caught fire just after 10 p.m. on April 17, 2019. Firefighters found fire coming from a rear exhaust vent and heavy smoke inside and outside. The fire was extinguished in about an hour and there were no reported injuries.