SOUTHINGTON — Health officials won’t be working to trace people who may have come into contact with three new coronavirus patients from town confirmed over the weekend.
Shane Lockwood, Plainville-Southington Regional Health District director, said recommendations on hygiene, quarantine and social distancing remain the same. He expects more cases and said it’s likely there are more cases that haven’t been confirmed.
“We know it’s everywhere,” Lockwood said. “What we want to do right now is stress those precautions.”
He cited the latest guidelines from the state Department of Public Health that contact tracing is no longer necessary. Contact tracing is used to determine any people an infected person might have contacted.
Lockwood wouldn’t reveal the age of the patients or whether they were related or not.
Rather than focus on particular individuals or areas, Lockwood said everyone in town should be washing their hands regularly and following public health recommendations on staying home.
“I would fully expect the number of cases to go up,” he said. “We can protect ourselves by following these simple messages.”
Anyone with questions can contact the regional health district through email at email@example.com.
Bradley hospital ready for overflow cases
Victoria Triano, Town Council chairwoman, said one of the three cases is already home while another was in intensive care as of Friday.
She said while there aren’t any coronavirus cases at Bradley hospital, a Hartford HealthCare campus, the facility is being readied if other hospitals become full.
“They’re expecting in the next few weeks a great swelling of cases,” Triano said. “It’s all set up to receive patients.”
Medical preparations are in place but Triano urged residents to stay home if they’re able to. Last week she posted an update video from her home and plans to do more of them to help inform people.
“People were appreciative of it,” Triano said.