Man charged with assault at virtual Metallica concert at Southington Drive-In

Man charged with assault at virtual Metallica concert at Southington Drive-In



reporter photo

SOUTHINGTON — A Cheshire man faces charges after police said he was involved in the assault of another man during a live stream concert at the drive-in last month. Additional warrants are pending, police said. 

Barrett Delmonico, 30, of 2049 Plank Road in Cheshire, was charged with second-degree assault and breach of peace.

On Aug. 30 around 12:45 a.m., police responded to the Southington Drive-In for a report of a fight, Lt. Keith Egan said in a statement. Police saw Delmonico acting aggressive, screaming and trying to continue the fight, Egan said. Delmonico and another person were the initial aggressors, according to police. 

Delmonico denied being involved in the incident, Egan said. 

The incident occurred during a Metallica concert being live streamed on the drive-in screen. 

Police said Delmonico and the man got into an argument, which escalated into a fight. In total five men were assaulting one man at the same time, including putting him in a choke hold, Egan said. The man was able to describe Delmonico’s physical appearance and his clothing, police said. The man told police he was held by two men while Delmonico struck him on the head with a speaker. The man lost consciousness on the ground and said he was in and out of consciousness while the assault continued. 

The man told police at one point he looked up and saw a man he believed to be Delmonico holding a knife, Egan said. A struggle ensued and the man received a deep cut to his hand. The man said he was unable to get away, was on the ground and blinded from blood in his eyes. An unknown person intervened and the man was pulled away, Egan said.

The man was taken to Hartford Hospital for treatment of injuries including severe lacerations to his head and hand, a fractured orbital bone, chipped teeth, a severe concussion, and a persistent loss of feeling to the left side of his face. 

Witnesses identified Delmonico as the person who struck the man. Delmonico was taken into custody and bond was set at $50,000. He is scheduled to appear in New Britain Superior Court on Oct. 2.

Egan noted the case is active and there are pending warrants for additional suspects. 

lsellew@record-journal.com203-317-2225Twitter: @LaurenSellewRJ


Advertisement
 
Local school, election and coronavirus news is more crucial now than ever. Help our newsroom deliver the coverage you deserve. Support Local news.

More From This Section

Latest Videos

Advertisement