Our CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE is free, but producing it is not. Please help keep our newsroom on the job by subscribing now.

Man charged with murder after 14-year-old Bridgeport boy is found dead

Man charged with murder after 14-year-old Bridgeport boy is found dead



 

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut man has been charged with murder in the killing of a 14-year-old Bridgeport boy who was reported missing by his mother Tuesday before his body was found in a wooded area the next day.

Authorities said they took Diante Willoughby, 19, of Bridgeport, into custody during a traffic stop in Oxford on Wednesday. Bail was set at $1 million.

Bridgeport police identified the victim as Jose Nunez. After he was reported missing, officials said they received unconfirmed information that someone had been killed in Bridgeport and their body was dumped in another town.

Investigators said they checked out the tip, found Nunez’s body in Oxford and developed probable cause to charge Willoughby with murder.

Police did not release details of a motive or how Nunez died.

It wasn’t clear if Willoughby had a lawyer who could respond to the allegations.

“On behalf of the Bridgeport Police Department I want to express our condolences to the family of Jose Nunez,” city Police Chief Armando Perez said in a statement. “This is a tragic incident that is felt throughout our entire community. We cannot imagine the tremendous loss that Jose’s family and friends are feeling at this time.”


Advertisement
 
Our CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE is free, but producing it is not. Please help keep our newsroom on the job by subscribing now.

More From This Section

Latest Videos

Advertisement