WALLINGFORD — An overnight fire at a Wallingford trash facility left a foul, smoky haze over multiple towns on Sunday.
The fire was reported around 1 a.m. Sunday morning at a transfer station at 530 S. Cherry St. The fire department extinguished the fire for the most part, but flames continued to smolder into the morning, according to Wallingford police Sgt. Darrin Rembisz.
The smoldering fire caused heavy smoke and a foul smell reported by residents in towns including Wallingford, Meriden and Berlin.
“You may smell smoke today as a result of a large fire Wallingford had at a trash facility,” the Berlin Volunteer Fire Department tweeted at 8:20 a.m. “ The smoke may linger throughout the morning. It will be stronger smell on the south end of Berlin.”
Firefighters continue to monitor the scene, Rembisz said.
There were no injuries reported.
The South Cherry Street facility is operated by Country Disposal Systems. It was formally the site of a trash to energy plant operated by Covanta.