WALLINGFORD — Firefighters were able to quickly stamp out a fire that engulfed a chair on the first floor of a Center Street office building Tuesday night, preventing the fire from spreading.
The fire occurred in a historic condo-office building located at 373-375 Center St.
Fire Battalion Chief Kris Sundwall said fire crews from the North Main Street firehouse, located around the corner, managed to arrive on scene within a minute of receiving the call just before 5:40 p.m.
Crews brought hoses into the building, but didn't need them, dousing the fire instead with water extinguishers.
Sundwall said there was heavy smoke throughout the building, but no reported injuries. There was some scorching to the wall and carpeting around the chair, but the building is otherwise intact, he added.
“Luckily the people from the business were working late,” Sundwall said. “It sounds like they were eating some dinner and noticed some smoke.”
The occupants evacuated the building. Meanwhile police closed off Center Street, near the intersection with North Main, while firefighters were on scene.
“Right now it's just the smoke condition we're trying to get out of building,” Sundwall said. “So we've got positive pressure fans pushing the smoke out now.”
Sundwall said officials have yet to determine the exact cause of the fire.
“We're not sure if it was a space heater or the electrical outlet that got the chair going,” he said.
According to town property records, the building was originally constructed in 1826. Ferguson & McGuire Insurance Services is the first-floor occupant at the 373 Center St. address of the building, while the Farrell & Grochowski law firm occupies the other half, at 375 Center St.